An innovative hide has been created.
Plymouth Foam announced it’s trademark, Airehide™, in August of 2017. Since the summer launch Airehide™ has provided material and application solutions different from others in the market, improving insulation, sound, protection applications in the industry.
The Airhide™ experience includes a wide range of design, application and manufacturing opportunities for use in multiple industries. They include (but are not limited to) food and beverage, food service, pharmaceutical, tools, appliance, transportation and consumer products.
Airehide™ includes polymer materials that expand in an inert gas batch expansion process and are molded using compression steam chest molding process. The materials are recyclable (can be remolded, re-melted, re-processed), meet RoHS and End-Of-Life requirements and have no CFC’s, HCFC’s, or VOCs used in manufacturing.
Airehide™ polymer material blends include, but are not limited to expanded versions of:
- Porous Polypropylene (PEPP)
The air technology (interior) combined with the protective, rugged and durable hide (exterior) provides unique product solutions.
- Vibration Dampening: Good vibration dampening and even isolation can be readily achieved with Airehide™ materials. This is highly application specific engineered on an ad hoc basis.
- Chemical Resistant Properties: Very good chemical resistance overall, particularly against acids and alkalis, solvents, grease, oil, etc.
- Ultraviolet Radiation Resistance: Good UV resistance for most applications. Long-term exposure primarily affects surface color while some embrittlement, chalking and crazing can occur depending on exposure levels and durations.
- Humidity and Water Resistance: Good resistance to humidity and water exposure. Typical water absorption, density dependent, is 0.1% to 0.3% by volume after 24 hours submersion and 0.6% after 1 week.
The strength and lightweight properties fill the needs of a wide array of applications which can drive industry growth. Due to their ability to absorb massive impacts, these below materials are ideal for:
- Cushioning (xEPE): back rests, head rests, arm rests, tools and pad holders
- HVAC Enclosures (EPP): Enclosures for outdoor and indoor control panels, fan housings and shields, integrated wire management guides, lightweight structures
- Impact Protection (EPP): Automotive door inserts and impact protection parts, car seats for infants, booster seats, helmet inserts
- Travel and Storage Protection (EPP): Tool cases, Bicycle travel case, gun cases, delicate instrument cases
- Totes and Returnable Packaging (EPP): Pallet totes, stackable trays, bins and trays for kitting, collapsible coolers and totes, custom fit totes
- Structure and Buoyancy (EPE): Personal watercraft components, flotation parts, structural core
- Impact and Resilience (ETPU / ETPO): BASF (Infinergy®) used in Adidas Boost Shoe Line, JSP working with PUMA and NIKE for ETPU Fit to Shape JSP, ISPO AWARD WINNER 2017 SALOMON Sense Ride Sole, VIBE Technology
Stay tuned in upcoming months as we will share success stories of the Airehide™ product offerings. On social media, we welcome you to share any products that may benefit from the innovative Airehide™ technology using #Airehide on Facebook or by connecting with us on Instagram. Plymouth Foam will communicate using the same hashtag so come join in the conversation…we look forward to hearing from you! (PS – our product in action: https://goo.gl/vCdKkT)
For further assistance with Airehide™ please contact:
Vice President Market & Business Development